
The Southern Transitional Council denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
Yemen's main separatist group, the Southern Transitional Council, denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
The conflicting statements highlight a split in the STC, a group backed by the United Arab Emirates that seized parts of southern and eastern Yemen in December in advances that heightened tensions with another Gulf power, Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE used to work together in a coalition battling the Iranian-backed terrorist organization, the Houthis, in Yemen's civil war, but the STC advances exposed their rivalry, bringing into focus big differences on a wide range of issues across the Middle East, ranging from geopolitics to oil output.
Saudi-backed forces retake STC seized land
Saudi-backed fighters have largely retaken the areas of southern and eastern Yemen that the STC seized, and an STC delegation has traveled to the Saudi capital Riyadh for talks.
But STC leader Aidarous al-Zubaidi skipped the planned meetings and fled Yemen on Wednesday, and the Saudi-led coalition accused the UAE of helping him escape on a flight that was tracked to a military airport in Abu Dhabi.
In an announcement broadcast on Saudi state media on Friday, one of the group's members said the STC had decided to disband.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the STC said it had held an "extraordinary meeting" following the announcement in Riyadh and declared it "null and void," saying it had been made "under coercion and pressure."
The group also said its members in Riyadh had been detained and were being "forced to issue statements."
The STC reiterated calls for mass protests in southern cities on Saturday, warning against any attempts that target the group's "peaceful activities."
Authorities in Aden that are aligned with Yemen's Saudi-backed government on Friday ordered a ban on demonstrations in the southern city, citing security concerns, according to an official directive seen by Reuters.
NEUESTE BEITRÄGE
- 1
Find the Excellence of Old style Expressive dance: Encountering the Effortlessness and Polish of Dance14.07.2023 - 2
Make your choice for the PS5 game that you love playing with companions!06.06.2024 - 3
The 10 Most Famous Works of art Ever06.07.2023 - 4
Global measles cases drop 71% in 24 years as vaccination coverage improves, WHO says28.11.2025 - 5
Indian rocket launches record-breaking BlueBird 6 smartphone satellite to orbit (video)23.12.2025
Ähnliche Artikel
‘Extraordinary’ Iron Age war trumpet uncovered in England07.01.2026
Kidneys from Black donors are more likely to be thrown away − a bioethicist explains why06.12.2025
Grammy nominations 2026: Full list of nominees in every major category, including Album of the Year and Best New Artist12.11.2025
Does physics say that free will doesn't exist?29.12.2025
Make your choice for the bird that catches your heart!07.06.2024
A single shot of HPV vaccine may be enough to fight cervical cancer, study finds03.12.2025
Wedding trip Objections in the US01.01.1
A rare whale is having an encouraging season for births. Scientists warn it might still go extinct05.01.2026
10 Moving Design Frill for Summer 202311.08.2023
As cases of a rare, deadly infection rise, doctors worry fewer teens will get vaccinated11.01.2026














